So, this is now pretty funny, because yesterday I had written a draft of this post to tell you all about the yummy French Dip Sandwiches we had the other night, and then today, before I got to complete the blog, Anna called and I gave her the recipe, not thinking that in a matter of minutes it would be posted on the blog as well. Oh well...
Anyway, Jeff and I were crazy about these guys. I think we were both pretty hungry when we ate them, and we haven't had french dips around here in like 4 years, so they probably tasted better to us than they would to you! Anyway, because I had some different ingredients on hand, I tweaked the recipe a bit, and here's what we have:
French Dip Sandwiches
2 loaves of Italian/French bread, split in half
little butter
1 1/4 lb. medium sliced roast beef (from deli counter)
1 medium/large onion; sliced
1-2 cloves garlic; minced
1 packet of Beefy Onion Soup mix (or just onion soup or beef soup) ---find these on the soup aisle in little boxes-Lipton makes them
1 1/2-2 C. water
1 can beef consomme (on soup aisle)
1 package of sliced provolone cheese
horseradish sauce (if you like--it makes the sandwich in my opinion, but Jeff doesn't like it)
Turn on broiler. Lightly butter both top and bottom of bread and broil for a minute, to crisp the bread up. Meanwhile, saute onion in more butter (2-3 Tbsp) until soft, adding garlic towards the end. (watch garlic, it burns easily) Add water and soup packet and stir. Immerse roast beef in sauce for a minute or two, and then, using tongs, remove and place on bread. Put provolone cheese on top, and horseradish sauce on top part of bread. Return to oven to melt cheese. Transfer remaining soup (now au jus!) to a bowl for dipping and ENJOY!
No comments:
Post a Comment