1.) Tom goes by many names. We call him Tommy, Tom, his little friends call him Tom Tom, and he has begun asking to be called "Cheese" for the past couple weeks. Cheese could not be a more perfect name for this kid! I called to him the other day when we were out, and he said, "No, I'm Cheese." Perfect.
Tom here is quite the character. He loves to be silly and tries hard (sometimes) to get a rise out of people...other times, he is inadvertently silly, and those are always fun times! In the picture above, he was determined to not open his eyes in a single shot. He thought it was so hilarious, and couldn't wait to see the pictures once I had taken them. We have MANY pictures of Thomas with his eyes closed and his mouth in a full smile.
These couple of pictures were taken one day last week when it got well into the 80s and so the boys had the sprinkler on and were playing in it. Jacob was playing in it, I should say. Thomas was a little chilly and got kind of grumpy about it. I would say that 90% of the day, he's a happy little fellow. He is whiny the other 10%. And the main time he fusses is when Jacob leaves him to go do something else. He HATES to be left behind and basically wants Jacob to do everything he wants to do...all the time. It works out fairly well because he has a big brother who is exceedingly patient with him and teaches him how to play the things that a 7 year old plays.
He also rarely cries, like actually cries with tears. He has taken some pretty good falls just in the past couple weeks since the weather has been warm enough for shorts, and bare knees. He's skinned one of his knees 3 times now, there's just no chance for it to heal! Last month he and Jacob were outside riding one of the baby ride on toys (John Deere tractor) down the side hill and he fell off and landed hard on his hands. That was the hardest I've ever seen him cry. Jacob walked him back up (since I obviously wasn't present for the fall) to me inside and he was just shaking. His hands were red, but no blood or scrapes. He laid there with me holding his hands for a good 10 minutes and kept telling me, "they're not kite back to noowamal yet Mom".
Here he is following behind Jacob, hopping through the mud they made. He doesn't mind mud.
Jacob and Thomas like to jump off high places. It's their thing. Well one day a couple weeks ago, Jacob was showing me all the places he can jump from (like the top of the swingset), and then Thomas wanted to show me where he had learned to jump from. (Yes, Jacob TEACHES him how to jump from higher and higher places) He proceeded to climb the ladder (shown in the picture above) and was on the TOP STEP and said "Watch!". That kid jumps off the top step of the ladder! It's almost twice his height! At first I was like, "No. You can't jump from that high." But then I decided to let him show me, since, just because I wouldn't like to jump off something that was twice my height, doesn't mean that a little boy wouldn't like it either. So he jumped, and he survived. And I continue to grow as a mother of boys:)
Tom went through a spell of needing someone to remove boogers from his nose for him, no matter the time of day or night. There was one week over the winter when our noses were particularly crusty, that he cried for Jeff to come up almost every night, and when Jeff would ask what was wrong, he would either get him to get a pesky boogie out of his nose or he would hand Jeff the pesky boogie that he had already removed himself and then lay back down and go to sleep. I was in his room one night laying in bed reading to him and I looked up on the wall which I had painted fairly recently and noticed there was junk all over it. Upon closer inspection, I realized that Thomas had been storing his boogers there. So I washed the wall and reminded him that if push came to shove, he could always use a tissue... A couple weeks ago we had been at the grocery store and I had to wash my sweatshirt I wore there since I had so many boogers in the marsupial pocket, courtesy of Thomas, which I had stuck in there since he kept handing them to me and I didn't know what to do with them!
Old Jim-Tom here...they're quite the duo. Thomas really loves his little brother a lot and like to talk to him and squeak at him in high pitched voices, like all babies like. James LOVES Thomas. If I had to say right now, at 6 months, I would say that he is by far the most entertained by Thomas out of any of us. Thomas is typically very gentle with him and will try to comfort him if he gets upset, but will usually resort to telling me, "I think he needs you to nurse him, Mom" when he doesn't quiet down. He's very intuitive.
Thomas has been riding his tricycle for about a year now, but recently got long enough legs to ride his bike:) He just hopped right on and took off. He can use his hand brake, he stands up to pedal up the "hill" (slight incline) of our cul de sac, he's a professional biker already!
Tom also has a thing for his belly. It is equal parts hilarious and awkward. We were at Ikea with some friends the other day and he and Jonathan (his friend) were sitting in the big part of a cart together when Jonathan started to whine. I looked over to see what was wrong and Jonathan was quite pitifully hanging over the back part of the cart with a look of "please someone help me", while Thomas was behind him, with his shirt pulled up, rubbing his belly on him and loving life. He thinks it's awesome to come up to me and pull up his shirt and rub his belly on me because I always tell him how creepy it is! He also thinks James loves his belly.


No comments:
Post a Comment