The first two practices he ended up crying because he was too tired or got confused/didn't understand the lingo (things like "hussle" or "cover 2nd"), as he is one of only a handful who hasn't played before on his team! We also found out after he was burning up after his 2nd practice-trip to the CVS minute clinic- that he had bronchitis...so we now see that that probably played a big role in him being a bit fussy those first two days.
After that was all taken care of, his practices have been so good! ( I should mention that even when he was tired and got upset, it was like he had no recollection of things were at practice because the second he left the field, he was all big-talking and psyched about his next time out,etc. I was thankful for that selective memory!) He listens very attentitively to his coaches and asks lots of clarifying questions, which his coaches like. They told Jeff he was probably the most coachable kid out there, which is wonderful because that's basically what I told him we expected of him going into this: That whatever his hand finds to do he would do it with all his might (Ecclesiastes 9:10). We just want him to try his very best, whatever that ends up looking like.
Last night was his first game (he's on the South Carolina Gamecocks team! Hhah!) and they played "Michigan"...and won 20-5. So I guess they have a pretty good team. Jacob had 3 hits and 2 RBIs. He played 2nd base one time in the field, and shortstop and left center field. When he came off the field at the end, I said, "Good job buddy! Did you have fun?" He responded, "YES! Who won?!" Hahahah! I was like, "seriously? Yall did...by a ton! 20-5". He was so excited and then told me that when he was in the outfield at the end he looked at the scoreboard (inbetween looking at his new jersey and retucking in his shirt like 8 times) and saw that somebody had 20, and he thought, "wow! that's a lot!"! Hahah! On the ride back from the game, Jeff asked him what his favorite thing to do during the game was and he said "field". Well, from where I sat, I can tell you why that was his favorite...everytime he ran out and took his position, he would call to all his buddies and wave and talk to them. Each time. You could tell he was having so much fun!
Here are two videos I got while Jacob was up to bat the first two times. I decided that I won't be videoing anymore on my little camera because I really couldn't see, and I'd rather get to see the game and not be sitting behind the camera!
No comments:
Post a Comment